Mobile phones have become an integral part of the student’s life in recent times. A lot of people believe Technology and Student Distraction work hand in hand, students tend to get distracted due to mobiles. But a majority of students and educationalists believe the mobile phone is not just a distraction. It has its uses that are proving to be beneficial for students. Mobile phones commonly referred to as Smartphone plays a vital role in the modern-day education system. Previously the traditional systems of learning were restricted to lectures in the classroom, information gathering through books, and classroom discussions with limited access. But with the invention of internet learning methods evolved. In this article, we are going to discuss how mobile phones are proving to be beneficial for students.
According to the recent online survey report from Cambridge International in the year 2019, it was predicted that the use of Smartphones in classrooms would go up to 55% in the US. Which has now reached up to 74% Similarly in UAE it is 76%.
Advantages Of Smartphones For Students
Smartphones have succeeded in reducing the time required for students to gather knowledge which has helped in increasing their productivity. Some common advantages of using Smartphones are students do not require to type out letters instead they can send out emails which are far more convenient and faster. Students are no more sent handouts of presentation separately after every lecture instead with the help of internet and learning portals the presentations can be uploaded in a common platform where they can access the information whenever required, they can also receive immediate feedback from their superiors which helps them improve their skills much faster. Apart from this students are also able to read their course material while retiring to bed with the help of mobile technology. Information is not restricted to the classroom and books. This is not all below listed are some of the major points in which mobiles can help students in their learning-
- Audio- Recorded Feedback– Smartphones enable teachers to send personalized audio-recorded feedback to students. This feature of the Smartphone motivates students to work more efficiently. Teachers can connect to students personally by sending individual audio-recorded feedback to each student. This feature acts as a morale booster. It is a fast and most preferred form of receiving feedback from students.
- Mobiles Offer Polling Tools For Students And Teachers– Using these tools teachers can analyze students better and extract their strengths and weaknesses. This helps them have a clear knowledge of whether they are on the same page with the students. It helps them control the pace of their teaching according to the student’s requirement leading to better outcomes. These polling tools are live and also help students understand whether they are being able to understand the course that is being taught.
- Learning Through Videos– It has been proved that audiovisual mediums have proved to be a better medium of learning because it stays in memory for a longer duration. Mobile technology has made it easier for students and teachers to make videos. Students are now asked to make a video of 5 minutes or less to display their knowledge on particular research instead of writing an essay that is 2000 words long. It makes the learning process interesting and engaging. There are a lot of students who find difficulties in expressing their ideas and views through words due to a lack of writing skills and language barriers. Videos help them express their views on particular research with ease. Teachers can also use videos to make tutorial lessons for students with the help of Smartphones. The best part of video tutorials is that students can replay them as many times as they want till the time it clears their doubts without having to bother their professors.
- Online Discussion Through Chats & Forums– Mobile technology has helped students participate in discussions through online forums and chats. As a result, more and more students can join in a discussion without being present physically. This has resulted in maximum participation in group chats and has also helped students enhance their learning base. Students can see new perspectives while speaking to various people. It is also not restricted to area time or any particular day. Students can participate as per their convenience also on weekends.
- Use Of QR Codes To Explore Information On Complicated Data – QR codes also known as quick response codes are generally used to generate links for complicated resources like complicated diagrams and images that are sent to students. These links help them increase their knowledge base, with the help of mobiles generating and sending these QR links to students have become very easy.
- Mobile Technology Has Made It Convenient For Students To Reach Out To Experts For Advice- Students can now reach out to subject matter experts at any point of time for expert advice in case they feel they are stuck somewhere. SourceEssay assignment help service has a team of experts who provide instant solutions to any kind of assignment problems to academic students.
- Students Can Seek Help For Their Assignments– Mobile technology also helps students get their assignments done by professional writers at a click while they can concentrate on their research. Online services like SourceEssay offer homework help to students with the help of professional writers. They make sure students never miss their deadlines.
To take the opinion of students on using smartphones in the learning process A recent study and survey from ECAR (Woodcock et. al. 2012) show the following results using Mean standard deviation.
Thus it can be said that mobile phones have helped students enhance their knowledge and also helped them to improve their learning skills. Students are no more restricted to the university campus. The scope and sphere of learning have become vast with the inclusion of mobile technology in the modern-day learning methodologies. A lot of students have been able to overcome their language barriers and other learning difficulties with the help of this technology. It has made the process of learning fun, interesting, and engaging and has also allowed students to learn as per convenience at their own pace. As a result, students who are slow learners can keep pace with the average students. Mobile technology has also made it convenient for teachers to share learning materials with students using emails, QR codes, and video tutorials and they are also able to give independent feedback to students in a much faster way which helps students stay motivated during their lessons.
Further students can take instant assignment help from an online source like SourceEssay where they can get in touch with subject-matter experts who give instant solutions to any kind of assignment problem and also help students write high quality non-plagiarized and unique assignments. They make sure the assignments are written adhering to the university guidelines and are proofread by subject matter experts before they are sent to the students as a result students can submit high quality, flawless, non-plagiarized assignments much ahead of their deadlines. Thousands of students have been benefitted by these services.
Kim-Soon, N., Ibrahim, M. A., Ahmad, A. R., & Sirisa, N. M. X. (2015). The use of smartphone to enhance learning. Advanced Science Letters, 21(7), 2322-2327.
Thomas, K. M., O’Bannon, B. W., & Bolton, N. (2013). Cell phones in the classroom: Teachers’ perspectives of inclusion, benefits, and barriers. Computers in the Schools, 30(4), 295-308.
Gikas, J., & Grant, M. M. (2013). Mobile computing devices in higher education: Student perspectives on learning with cellphones, smartphones & social media. The Internet and Higher Education, 19, 18-26.