Motivation plays a significant
role in the growth of an employee. The driving force that leads to a determined
behavior is termed as motivation. This helps an employee to work towards the
betterment of the company he is employed in.
Motivation comprises of three
- Willingness To Work– It depicts the eagerness of the employee to work in a particular direction. The effort is transparent in the individual’s behavior. The willingness to work helps the individual to achieve desired results.
- Instinct Of The Employee– The next component is the instinct of the employee. The instinct can be defined as the tendency to be inclined towards a particular behavior. It includes emotional factors of the human being like love, hatred, greed, etc. These are the scenarios when humans tend to react instinctively in a definite manner.
- The Driving Theory– The third component that comprises motivation is the drive theory. According to this theory the people are motivated to fulfil their biological requirements of survival. The most common example that explains this theory is hunger and thirst in any human being which motivates the person to fend for himself to basic survival.
Another effective driving force that works towards
motivating a person is the arousing force. This force makes human beings react
to a certain situation in a positive way that benefits the organization. For example,
in times of recessions when people were demotivated and almost lost hope to get
jobs anywhere, many administrators motivated employee with speeches which were
full of positive energy. This aroused a positive feeling among the people who
were going through tremendous amount of mental strain. And, motivated them to
focus on getting jobs rather than complaining about the situation.
This process of motivation is commonly called the arousal
Another kind of approach is the
cognitive approach which drives the driving theory.
According to the cognitive
approach humans are normally motivated with the help of ambition, rewards and
Cognitive approach is further segregated into two types-
i. Intrinsic Approach.
ii. Extrinsic Approach.
- Intrinsic Approach– This is an
approach where you do things for self- satisfaction. You mainly focus on things
that make you happy and satisfied. For example, pursuing a hobby in the leisure
time or going out with friends and family.
- Extrinsic Approach– This kind of
an approach doing something in order to get something. For example, you are
doing a job with full integrity in order to be paid on time.
Motivation can be based on various factors. The common factors are- Promotion, Declaration of Incentives and Recognition.
Incentives is the payment a
person receives over and above the salary he or she is entitled to. Yearly
bonuses, Food allowance, paid leaves, medical insurance, reimbursements of
travel and transportation costs fall under the category of incentives. This
motivates people to work hard and achieve their goals.
Promotion also motivates people
to put in their best. Because it allows them to get into a better position to
work and opens the doors of opportunity for them.
Steps Implemented To Motivate
Different steps are taken by
different organizations to motivate their employees to perform better
- Organizations have implemented friendly competitions with in the employees by setting targets for them.
- The HR system have designed different kinds of team building activities some of the activities require splitting the employees into small groups. This activity motivates employees to work on self and it also gives the employee a chance to show his worth. This activity helps to motivate employees on a one on one basis.
Theories That Throw Light On The Needs And Wants Of Individuals
Through years of research various theories have been developed that focuses on the requirements of individuals.
Some of the
- Fredrick Herzberg’s Theory– This
theory states two major factors affect motivation one is job-satisfaction and
other is job-dissatisfaction. These two things are inter related but according
to the Herzberg theory these are separate. Further in his research he separated
motivation into two groups. The motivators and Hygiene factors.
The motivators included factors like, achievement,
recognition, advancement and responsibility and the group which was named
hygiene factors included company policies, work environment, relationship with peers,
work environment, salary, job security and status of the employee in the
The theory suggests that the presence of these
motivators led to job- satisfaction but it was found that the absence of it did
not lead to dissatisfaction.
Similarly, the absence of the hygiene factors has led
to employee dissatisfaction but the presence of them has not satisfied the
employees to that extent. Therefore, it is clear that job satisfaction and
dissatisfaction are not inter connected according to the theory.
Similar to this there is a Theory of Mc Clelland which focus on needs like power, achievement and affiliation. As per this theory the need for power is described as the driving force for motivation in employees.
On the other hand, the equity theory states that
employees must be treated equally in order to be motivated. Every employee must
be given a fair chance when competing with their co-workers.
There is one more theory that defines motivation it is
called the Goal-Setting Theory.
According to this particular theory if an employee is
given a target to achieve and directed towards it. The chances of his
performing better are more. Because the employee is more focused. In this case
the goal is set by both the employee and employer. And they work as team.
Regular feedback to the employer motivates the employee to achieve his target.
Thus, we can
say that motivation plays a significant role and helps the employee to grow. There
are various factors that contribute to motivate an employee and accordingly
various initiates have been taken by organizations to motivate their employees
to perform better.
Similar to organizations that are working very hard every day to motivate their employees Source Essay provides Online Assignment Help to students who suffer from stress due to assignment pressures. They have assignment writers who help students with their assignments and motivate them to get good grades in their exams and rise up in life.