Behind a good writing, there lies a power of clear understanding. It is evident a business writing must fulfill the demand for rational thinking and organizing the thoughts that gives a clear picture to readers. Barbara Minto in her books, The pyramid principle says, for the average business writer, producing more literature, memos and emails don’t always mean to write a shorter statement or using better words, rather it must formally separate the logical thinking and creating a comprehensive structure identifies the major ideas.
Hence the pyramid of principle moves around the following key points-
- Clarity of purpose- Determine why a letter or memos is being written
- Know your audience- Find out the details of the targeting audiences
- Scope of letter/memo or email- You should know what should be written
- What Section you want to favour- It makes sure a starting point and ending point of the essay must meet
Most of the business writing needs Call to Action, instruct the readers and encourage them for the response (Bargiela-Chiappini & Nickerson 2014). In this article, we are going to discuss the prominent business letter writing strategies expected to bring effectiveness in the end.
Requirements Of A Business Letter
A majority of business letter comprises following points-
|Letter Head||Full Address Of Company And Its Name|
|Date line||It can be in both American and British Style|
|Inside Address( Open Punctuation)||Full Block form address used by all the organization|
|Reference Lines||It can be Personal, Confidential and Attention|
|Salutation||These are the courtesy styles written before beginning of concerned person name|
|Body of letter||It is divided into three paragraphs|
|Complimentary close||It is closed with Your sincerely or Your truly|
|Signature||Writer must sign at the end of the letter|
|Stenographic Reference||The sender initial must typed in Capital letter|
|Enclosure||Copy of location or appointment letter can be attached|
Strategies For Writing Business Letter
As said by Paul Tims, the difference between literature and business writing is same as the difference between agriculture and culture. Business writing works as functional writing. The entire business letter revolves around the central idea that required efforts in planning, organizing and executing those ideas adroitly.
To apprehend the business writing, there are two approaches is highly applicable are
How To Use Direct Approach
It has been noted by several assignment help experts, all the pleasant information begins directly having good note, Bovée, Thill, & Schatzman said it, Big Idea approach.
Steps To Follow Big Idea Approach
- Place the central idea at the first position and let the readers know about the purpose of writing a letter
- All details must be written in the subsequent paragraph
- Don’t put unnecessary details
- Select those points relevant to the letter
Advantages Of Using Big Idea Approach
It saves readers time and increases the effectiveness of the letter
It helps the writer to focus on the central idea
It works great to define public relation or to sustain employee relationship
Potential Disadvantage Of Using Big Idea Approach
It must not lead any sensitive information
The message may deliver in confusion manner
How To Use Indirect Approach
Indirect Approach used to direct persuasive situation or bad news. In an indirect approach, the evidence is represented first following the main idea. It is also called an inductive approach. It used there when your audience may resist the information what you want to say. So the method BILL i.e Big Idea a little later suggested by Timm must be used. In case the information is sensitive or emotionally connected, then using BILL formula is highly recommended
Strategy For Using Indirect Approach
An Opening Paragraph Must Be Work As Observe For Bad News
The prime function of the first paragraph is to prepare the readers mentally. It has to be neutral or vaguely positive. This can be done by using a polite sentence or acknowledging the reader’s interest so to avoid premature turn off reader’s attention. Further, it should not start abruptly (Hynes & Veltsos 2018)
Buffer Paragraph Must Follow Naturally Next Paragraph And Courteously Presented
Many essay helper accepted, sometimes bad news doesn’t seem bad if it is presented in a simple, factual and considerate manner. The letter must light the reasoning you want to gain the attention. Make sure you are not losing credibility.
Bad News Has To Present Carefully
It is best to convey the message in a passive form. For this writer must need to provide the reason behind the refusal as per the company policy (Wagner et.al, 2017). In case you need assignment experts assistance on how to write down bad news into the letter, then get instant assignment help from SourceEssay. There are assisting with writing assignments on managerial communication whenever you want.
The Letter Must Be Ended With Goodwill Note
After explaining the facts, reasons behind the refusal, choose the words carefully and end the letter on a firm note. Make sure end must be optimistic
Essential Points For Your Email And Memo Manner
- Keep Message short
- Use short paragraphs logically drawn from a central idea
- Limit each paragraph to one subject
- Always use a subject line
- Don’t use a capital letter in body paragraphs
- Proofread each message especially if is concerned with bad news
- Remember email is not private
From the above information, it can be concluded, business writing is referred to as the continuation of the ideas, catch the sufficient attention of the readers as well as impose the proper order. It must formally separate the logical thinking and creating a comprehensive structure also identifies the major ideas that are why it is termed as functional writing. In this article, we have Direct Approach and Indirect Approach which has been highly using to write business letters. Direct Approach saves readers time and increases the effectiveness of the letter, whereas in indirect approach the evidence is represented first following the main idea.
If you have any doubt regarding assignment structure, then you can instant managerial communication assignment help from SourceEssay anytime.
- Bovée, C. L., Thill, J. V., & Schatzman, B. E. (2010). Business communication essentials. Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Bargiela-Chiappini, F., & Nickerson, C. R. (2014). Writing business: Genres, media and discourses. Routledge.
- Hynes, G. E., & Veltsos, J. R. (2018). Managerial communication: Strategies and applications. Sage Publications.
- Minto, B. (2008). The pyramid principle: logical writing, thinking and problem solving.
- Wagner, T. F., Baccarella, C. V., & Voigt, K. I. (2017). Framing social media communication: Investigating the effects of brand post appeals on user interaction. European Management Journal, 35(5), 606-616.